Candidate to represent the School of Arts & Sciences on the Alumni Council.
STATEMENT: My name is Gabriel Lara, and I graduated from the Tufts University’s School of Arts & Science in 2015. Since graduation, I have had the privilege of representing the class of 2015 for the past 5 years and I am thrilled to be nominated for re-election to be a Term Member of the Tufts University Alumni Council. As a transitional member, I had the opportunity to serve in a number of committees, which provided me with critical insight to the work done by the Alumni Council from my fellow alumni. As a Term Member, I would seek out additional opportunities for involvement, ensuring that that the Tufts University Alumni Council continues to support the vast Tufts community around the world.
Since leaving the Medford Campus, there have been a number of changes in my life, including a move back to my hometown of Chicago and a major career shift, from an aspiring Clinical Psychology PhD to a current Juris Doctor Candidate. Despite these changes, a constant in my life continues to be the incredible Tufts community, including the many friendships I fostered while on campus and while serving on the Tufts University Alumni Council. In addition to my involvement with the Tufts University Alumni Council and with the Tufts University Admissions Network, another constant in my life has been the many friendships that were first fostered in the Medford campus, which have continued to flourish since graduation.
Currently, as a law student, my spare time outside my student schedule is often dominated by reading case law, drafting memorandums or notes for class, or participating in a number of student and non-profit boards, all while working as a law clerk. Despite the rigors of law school, I have maintained my involvement with Tufts, making time to attend committee meetings, reading through hundreds of pages of alumni award and senior award nominations, attending Chicago chapter events, hosting fellow Jumbos visiting Chicago, and interviewing Tufts applicants for undergraduate admissions.
From my time as a Transitional Member of the Tufts University Alumni Council, I bring nearly five years of experience serving in a number of the Alumni Council Committees as well as a drive to continue serving and improving the Tufts community. My commitment to Tufts continues to be driven by my own experiences at Tufts, as well as my hope that current Tufts students have the same wonderful experiences I had. In sum, I bring an unshakeable drive to serve and improve the Tufts community for students and alumni alike and would be honored to continue my service to the school as a Term Member of the Tufts University Alumni Council.
- BS, Clinical Psychology, Tufts University, 2015
- Honos Civicus Society
- Juris Doctor Candidate / Law Clerk
- Member, Latino Alumni Association, 2015-Present
- Tufts Admissions Network interviewer, 2015-Present
- 5th Reunion Committee Member, 2019-2020
- 5th Reunion Class Gift Officer, 2019-2020
- Transitional Member, Tufts Alumni Council, 2015-2020
- Member, Awards Committee, 2016-2019
- Member, Governance Committee, 2015-2018
- Member, Finance Committee, 2016-2017
- Member, Audit Committee, 2015-2016
- President, Association of Latin American Students
- Tisch Scholar, Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life
- Lead Mentor, Latino Center Mentorship Program
OTHER PROFESSIONAL / VOLUNTEER AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Law Student Division National Treasurer, 2019-Present
- Chicago Public Schools Career and Technical Education Pre-Law Advisory Council Member, 2019-Present
- Inn of Courts Member, 2018-Present
- Minds Matter Associate Board Member, 2018-2019
- National Immigrant Justice Center Translator, 2016-Present
- Law Clerk at the Southeast Louisiana Legal Services, January 2020
- Louisiana Pro Bono Project Research Volunteer, January 2019
- Louisiana Civil Justice Center Research, January 2018
- Legal Assistance Foundation (LAF), U-Visa Project Volunteer, 2017
- Farther Foundation Alumni Board Member, 2016–2018