Candidate to represent the School of Arts and Sciences on the Alumni Council.
STATEMENT: I was born and raised in the city of Boston. I love my city, as I feel like it has taught me to be outraged about the right things. I also recognize the city itself inflicts some of those things, and was lucky to be just 18 years old when, as an undergraduate at Tufts University, I was gifted something powerful. The language for what I saw every day; the deeply held truths and realities of life in my version of Boston, and doubtless many other cities like it.
As a Community Health major, I learned that I was fortunate to be studying in a highly specialized, yet broadly applicable field. It was during those formative years that I met - and fell pretty hard for - Public Health and its inextricably linked field, Racial Justice. I have had countless mentors in this journey, and they have reminded me that while I don’t know if the change I wish to see will happen in my lifetime, I can be assured it won’t if I don’t do the work. That reminder gets me out of bed and back into my roles (as a Black woman, as a resident of Boston, as a Public Health professional, as a steward of justice and equity) every day. If I can help pay the gift of this self-understanding forward to any members of the Tufts community, I will count myself lucky.
- BA, Child Development, Community Health Tufts University, 2011
- Master of Public Health, Boston University School of Public Health, 2013
CURRENT OCCUPATION: Community Health Planning and Engagement Specialist, MA Department of Public Health
- Grant Coordinator, MA DPH
- Barbara Jordan Health Policy Scholar, US House of Representatives, Kaiser Family Foundation
- Community Health Alumni Mentorship Program (CHAMP) Mentor
- Tufts Black Alumni Association Mentor
- Community Health Teaching Assistant, 2011-2013
- Alumni Selection Committee for CH Director, 2013
OTHER PROFESSIONAL / VOLUNTEER AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Trained Racial Justice Facilitator, with frequent workshops, presentations, and trainings delivered
- Racial Equity Leadership Team at MA DPH, 2014-Present
- National Academy for State Health Policy Community Benefits Workgroup, 2019-Present
- Boston Latin School Equity Team Alumni Member, 2019-Present
- Greater Mattapan Neighborhood Council Member
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors Health Equity Council Member
- Presenter at several national conferences, 2013-Present