Vote for Alumni Trustee
Dear Fellow Alumni,
I would be honored and proud to represent all Tufts University alumni as Trustee.
To sit on the governing board of the University entails the great responsibility to lead and manage the institution moving forward. My experience, integrity, vision, and dedication have prepared me well to be a successful trustee, a role that I would commit to fully. Through my previous leadership positions at both the Tufts University Dental Alumni Association and the Massachusetts Dental Society, I understand the commitment required. The importance of shaping the vision for the Tufts of tomorrow, as it continues to grow its reputation as a top ranked research institution with three campuses, is critical now more than ever.
Having served as a leader of the Dental Alumni Association for 20 years, including terms as Secretary, Treasurer, and culminating as President, I have comprehensive experience serving as a liaison to the alumni and the University.
As Immediate Past President of the Massachusetts Dental Society, I am familiar with board culture, fiduciary responsibility, and leading during times of crisis. I enjoy being part of a group working towards the success of the whole. I have a particular interest in diversity and inclusion, and much of my volunteer work in organized dentistry has focused on advocating for underrepresented demographics, resulting in my appointment to the American Dental Association’s Institute for Diversity in Leadership Class of 2018.
In both organizations, I am described as a collaborator, a leader, and a community builder. I thrive on cultivating alumni/member engagement and amplifying the visibility of our schools and graduates.
My engagement with Tufts since graduation has been driven by a desire to give back while paying it forward. My childhood dream was to be a dentist, and I was fortunate to be mentored by my own family dentist, a D62 alum. The themes of mentorship and giving back resonated with me from an early age, and as I reflect back on my life and career, these ideals continue to be my priority.
As a volunteer Clinical Instructor, I taught one day a week in the Tufts Dental Emergency Clinic for ten years before becoming a parent. While I enjoyed sharing my knowledge of dental diagnosis and chairside techniques, what I valued most were the opportunities to share real life experiences with my students, and mentor them in the practical issues of dentistry. One of the highlights of my tenure as a Dental Alumni Association Board Member was participating in the annual student-alumni networking session, where I was able to interact and share my passion for dentistry with my future colleagues.
As a leadership donor and active alumna, I remain enthusiastically involved in D94’s activities and have enjoyed helping to plan and fundraise for each of our reunions since graduation. Recently, I was honored to support the Dental Alumni Association by sponsoring a Giving Tuesday fundraising challenge for the Dental Class of 2021 (which I am happy to say they unlocked!)
As a general dentist practicing locally in Medford and then Winchester for more than 25 years, it is a point of pride being part of the Tufts community. As President of the Massachusetts Dental Society and an interested alumna, I watched closely as Tufts managed its own amazing COVID-19 response. President Anthony Monaco viewed the pandemic as a disruption that would not defeat our university, epitomizing the commitment in Tufts’ mission statement to “provide transformative experiences.” Lessons learned from COVID will serve as a springboard for our future on many levels, and Tufts is already leading the way. Tufts’ vibrant strategy of survival and resilience has been the light on the Hill for so many!
Earning a Tufts degree from any one of its eight degree-granting schools opens doors close to home and around the world. A Tufts degree provides us with a sense of belonging, a vast networking base, and most importantly, a sense of being part of an impactful community. Please actively engage in our alumni community, make an impact, and VOTE today.
A Jumbo thanks for your support!
Janis B. Moriarty DMD
- GPR (General Practice Residency), Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, MA
- DMD, Tufts, 1994
- BA in German, University of Maine, 1989
CURRENT OCCUPATION: Self-employed general dentist in Winchester, MA
- Co-Chair, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th and 25th Reunions, TUSDM, 1999-2019
- Member, Dental M Club Executive Committee, 2005-2009
- Tufts Dental Alumni Association
- Secretary, 2010-2016
- Treasurer 2005-2010
- President 2003-2004
- Board of Directors 1996-2003
- 150th Anniversary Committee, 2016-2018
- Continuing Education Review Task Force, 2013-2016
- Volunteer, Giving Tuesday, 2018-present
- Career Advisor, 2011
- Volunteer Dental School Faculty (Assistant Clinical Professor), 1996-2008
THER PROFESSIONAL / VOLUNTEER AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES:
- Pierre Fauchard Academy Distinguished Service Award, 2021
- Commonwealth of MA Executive Office of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Provider Advisory Committee , 2020-present
- TUDAA Recognition of Service Award, 2016
- John Golden Award for Yankee Dental Congress Volunteerism, 2015
- American College of Dentists, Fellow, 2009
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Women Dentists
- Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk, 2011-Present
- Alumni Team Captain of the Year, 2019
- Captain’s Circle Member
- Captain, Miles and Smiles Team (recognized for surpassing $500K+ in eight years)
- Five Star Pacesetter level fundraiser raising $10K+ each year
- Yankee Dental Congress, General Chair, 2011
- International College of Dentists, Fellow, 2007
- Massachusetts Dental Society
- Immediate Past President, 2020-2021
- President, 2019-2020
- President-Elect, 2018-2019
- Vice President, 2017-2018
- Secretary, 2014-2017
- Assistant Secretary, 2012-2014
- Trustee, 2006-2012
- Pierre Fauchard Academy, Fellow, 2007
- Project Stretch: Dentistry Reaching Out to Children -- dental mission trips to Venezuela and Lithuania
- Winchester MA Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2006-2008