Discover the intriguing mélange of cultures that flourished in the wake of Ancient Empires. Cruise for seven nights from Rome to Valletta aboard the exclusively chartered Five-Star small ship Le Lyrial. custom‑designed itinerary features the monumental antiquities and spectacular scenery of this historical region affording the opportunity to travel with a small group that visits up to nine UNESCO World Heritage sites. Marvel at Italy’s stunning Amalfi Coast, visit the superbly excavated city of Pompeii and Agrigento’s unforgettable Valley of the Temples, discover Sicily’s storied town of Taormina and experience the rich history of Malta. Rome Pre‑Program and Malta Post-Program Options.
Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Positano, Isle of Capri, Taormina, Syracuse, Agrigento, Valletta
Day 1. Depart the U.S. or Canada
Day 2. Rome, Italy/Civitavecchia/Embark Le Lyrial
Day 3. Naples/Pompeii
Day 4. Sorrento for Amalfi Coast and Positano/Isle of Capri
Day 5. Cruise past Stromboli/Naxos for Taormina, Sicily
Day 6. Syracuse
Day 7. Porto Empedocle for Agrigento
Day 8. Valletta, Malta
Day 9. Valletta/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
Itinerary is subject to change.
- Time on your own to explore the quaint seaside town of Sorrento and the picturesque Amalfi Coast village of Positano.
- Walking tour of Sicily’s ancient town of Taormina, featuring the third‑century B.C. Greco‑Roman theater.
- Private tour of Casa Rocca Piccola and its lovely gardens, hosted by a member of the noble de Piro family.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site Highlights
- Guided tour of the remarkable archaeological preservation of Pompeii.
- Excursion to the Archaeological Museum in Naples’ Historic Center.
- Scenic drive along the famous Amalfi Coast showcasing Italy’s natural beauty.
- Views of Sicily’s imposing Mt. Etna, Europe’s highest volcano.
- Cruise past the island of Stromboli, the “Lighthouse of the Mediterranean.”
- Tour of Sicily’s Syracuse, with visits to one of the best‑preserved ancient Greek theaters in the world and the historical island of Ortygia, the legendary “Old City” of Syracuse.
- Excursion to Sicily’s Agrigento and its majestic Valley of the Temples.