Join us for this seven-night circumnavigation of ethereal Iceland, a land of fire and ice where glittering glaciers cap active and dormant volcanoes and Viking ruins coexist with geothermal baths, mud pots and powerful geysers. Cruise aboard the Five‑Star, ice-class expedition ship Le Dumont d’Urville, featuring only 92 Suites and Staterooms. Look for orcas and humpback whales and in UNESCO‑designated Vatnajökull National Park, touch ice fragments calved from one of Europe’s largest glaciers. Cross the Arctic Circle on Grímsey Island and marvel at dramatic Goðafoss, the “Waterfall of the Gods.” Economy-class air from Boston, New York‑JFK, Newark, Toronto and Washington-Dulles is included; low air add‑ons are available from other select cities. Reykjavík and The Golden Circle Pre‑Program Options offered.
Vatnajökull National Park, Goðafoss, Arctic Circle
Day 1. Depart the U.S. or Canada
Day 2. Reykjavík, Iceland/Embark Le Dumont d’Urville
Day 3. Vigur Island/Ísafjörður
Day 4. Siglufjörður/Grímsey Island/Arctic Circle
Day 5. Húsavík for Lake Mývatn
Day 6. Seyðisfjörður
Day 7. Djúpivogur for Jökulsárlón
Day 8. Heimaey, Westman Islands/Cruise along Surtsey Island
Day 9. Reykjavík/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Itinerary is subject to change.
- City tour of Reykjavík, featuring visits to the lauded National Museum and Hallgrímskirkja Church.
- Visit to Vigur Island to observe of Arctic terns, eiders and thousands of puffins in their natural habitat and to tour the island’s preserved agricultural relics.
- Tour of charming Ísafjörður, one of Iceland’s oldest fishing stations, featuring the Westfjords Heritage Museum and Ósvör Maritime Museum.
- Excursion to the dramatically sited town of Siglufjörður, including a visit to the award‑winning Herring Era Museum, featuring a lively demonstration with music.
- Crossing of the Arctic Circle (66°33’ N) on Grímsey Island.
- Scenic excursion in northern Iceland to Goðafoss Waterfall, Lake Mývatn, Dimmuborgir, Skútustaðir and the geothermal field of Námaskarð.
- Visit to Seyðisfjörður, including a performance at the Blue Church and a tour of the Technical Museum.
- Full-day excursion along Iceland’s east coast from Djúpivogur to the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon in UNESCO World Heritage-designated Vatnajoküll National Park with a private cruise among Jökulsárlón’s icebergs.
- Visit to Heimaey Island to tour the Eldheimar Museum, see the lava fields of “Fire Mountain” and visit Herjólfsdalur Valley’s ancient Viking ruins.
- Cruise along the coast of Surtsey Island, named a UNESCO World Heritage site for its ecological significance.