What could be more inspiring than a journey to Sicily highlighted by visits to renowned archaeological sites, delicious cuisine and wine, and a fabulous private villa selected as your home base? This comprehensive program will provide an intimate, immersive approach to an authentic cultural and culinary experience. We’ll converse with winemakers whose vineyards thrive on the flanks of Mount Etna and enjoy their boutique wines paired with savory antipasti. The beautiful landscapes of Sicily are populated by the spirits of ancient Greeks and the Romans who found paradise on this island. Excellent guides will lead us on many memorable discoveries of Sicily’s celebrated past.
Day 1. Depart U.S./Canada
Day 2. Arrive in Catania, Sicily / Taormina
Day 3. Taormina
Day 4. Piazza Armerina
Day 5. Viagrande / Catania
Day 6. Siracusa / Ortigia
Day 7. Mount Etna
Day 8. Taormina
Day 9. Taormina / Catania / Depart for U.S./Canada
- Work side-by-side in the kitchens of distinguished chefs, learning time-tested techniques and modern twists with ingredients grown in the mineral-rich, volcanic soil of Mount Etna’s fertile lowlands.
- Spend time exploring the coastal towns of Taormina and Siracusa, including a stop at a local outdoor market.
- Visit Benanti, a family-owned boutique winery with a strong international focus, and winner of over 80 awards since 1994.
- Visit Sicily’s archaeological masterpieces—the ancient theatres of Taormina and Siracusa, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Villa Romana del Casale mosaics in Piazza Armerina.
- Explore Mount Etna, a natural marvel and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Enjoy seven nights at the splendid seaside hotel, Mazzarò Sea Palace.