Experience dramatic coastlines, sacred temples, celebrated gardens, and cutting-edge art and architecture during an eight-night cruise through the Sea of Japan and the Inland Sea aboard the 140-passenger Heritage Adventurer. After two exciting days in Tokyo, venture beyond the bustle of Japan’s capital city to the historic and artistic quarters of Kanazawa and the idyllic island worlds of Miyajima and Sado. Visit sacred temples and shrines and renowned gardens and castles while engaging with expert study leaders throughout the program. An optional pre-trip extension to Hakone/Kamakura and an optional post-trip extension to Kyoto are also available.
Day 1. Depart U.S./Overnight flight to Tokyo, Japan
Day 2. Tokyo
Day 3. Tokyo
Day 4. Niigata
Day 5. Sado Island
Day 6. Kanazawa
Day 7. Matsue
Day 8. Ulsan, South Korea
Day 9. Miyajima, Japan
Day 10. Hiroshima
Day 11. Naoshima
Day 12. Osaka / Return to U.S.
- Customize your experience with excursion options in Tokyo.
- Try your hand at taiko drumming on remote Sado Island, home of the world-famous Kodo drummers.
- Experience a traditional tea ceremony in Kanazawa and enjoy free time to explore the samurai quarter in Matsue.
- Visit scenic Naoshima, an island that has become a mecca for cutting-edge art and contemporary architecture, including the Chichu Art Museum, Benesse Museum, and Art House Projects.
- Take in the spectacular scenery of Japan’s Inland Sea.
- In Gyeongju, South Korea, ancient capital of the Silla kingdom that ruled for 1,000 years, visit the royal tombs, National Museum of Korea, and Bulguksa Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to learn about Buddhist culture and Korean history.
- In Miyajima visit the 6th-century Itsukushima Shinto Shrine, with its iconic brilliant red torii, a grand wooden gateway that appears to float on the sea at high tide.
- View modern and contemporary Japanese paintings at Adachi Museum of Art in Matsue and admire its spectacular and immaculately maintained gardens.