Feel the spell of Iberia’s rich Roman and Moorish past – and the pull of its vibrant contemporary life – on this distinctive 15-day journey through the Iberian Peninsula to the intimate lodgings of Spain’s paradores and Portugal’s pousadas. Your small group begins with Lisbon’s highlights, including iconic Belém Tower, and visits the lovely National Palace of Queluz. Travel through the picturesque Alentejo region to one of Portugal’s finest pousadas in Evora, a UNESCO site replete with Roman and Moorish relics. Crossing into Spain, encounter Mérida’s outstanding Roman ruins. During a three-night Carmona sojourn, experience Seville’s romance and tour its renowned Catédral. Visit Cordoba, a cultural gem and UNESCO site. After exploration of Granada with its extraordinary Alhambra, discover beautiful hilltop Toledo. With three final nights in monumental Madrid, touring includes the Royal Palace, the world-renowned Prado, and Plaza Mayor. Enjoy Spain’s spirited cultural capital, Barcelona, with an optional 4-day/3-night post-tour extension.
Day 1. Depart U.S./Canada for Lisbon, Portugal
Day 2. Arrive Lisbon
Day 3. Lisbon/Queluz
Day 4. Lisbon/Evora
Day 5. Evora
Day 6. Evora/Mérida, Spain/Carmona
Day 7. Carmona/Seville
Day 8. Carmona/Cordoba
Day 9. Carmona/Ronda
Day 10. Ronda
Day 11. Ronda/Granada/Úbeda
Day 12. Úbeda/Toledo/Madrid
Day 13. Madrid
Day 14. Madrid
Day 15. Depart for U.S./Canada
- Accommodations in distinguished historic lodging including fortresses, medieval monasteries, and stately palaces.
- Visit the National Palace of Queluz, Portugal
- Explore Lisbon including Belém Tower
- Walking tour of Evora, a UNESCO World Heritage site thanks to its Roman and Moorish relics and architecture.
- Discover Seville with a tour that includes the Alcázar palace and the Arab quarter.
- Tour Cordoba's Old Quarter and magnificent Mezquita mosque.
- Visit Granada’s Alhambra fortress and Generalife Gardens
- Three night stay in Madrid.