Explore the treasures of the Spanish and French Rivieras, from the romantic Roman ruins at Arles to the art nouveau architecture of Gaudí’s Barcelona and the landscapes that inspired Picasso and Cézanne. Luxuriate in the comforts of a 5-star hotel in the center of Barcelona for three nights, followed by the unparalleled experience of cruising aboard one of the world’s finest sailing vessels, the Sea Cloud II, for four nights with an itinerary carefully designed to maximize our time under sail. Listen to an expert guest presentation about the ongoing construction of Gaudi’s landmark cathedral, the Sagrada Familia. Visit the Dalí museum in Figueres and Gala-Dalí's Castle infused with Dalí's creativity, it was his last studio and finally the mausoleum of his muse, Gala. Enjoy a private visit to a working cowboy ranch in the Camargue, for a feast, demonstration of horsemanship skills in which young men try to pluck a red cloth from between the horns of the bull, then vault to safety over the walls of the arena. Explore a morning market and take a walking tour in Aix-en- Provence, follwed by an afternoon visit to Cezanne’s studio.
Day 1. Depart U.S./Canada for Barcelona, Spain
Day 2. Arrive Barcelona
Day 3. Barcelona
Day 4. Barcelona
Day 5. Barcelona / Embark Sea Cloud II
Day 6. Figueres
Day 7. Arles and the Camargue, France
Day 8. Marseille
Day 9. Disembark / Return to U.S./Canada
- Four nights aboard the 5-star Sea Cloud II; this elegant three-masted vessel is evocative of a classic tall ship from a bygone era, with modern comforts.
- Meals and tastings ashore featuring local specialties and wines of Catalunya and Provence, including sampling of top Spanish wines, cheeses, olive oils and salts at a historic property in the Catalunyan countryside.
- Expert guest presentation about the ongoing construction of Gaudi’s landmark cathedral, the Sagrada Familia.
- Private visit to a working cowboy ranch in the Camargue, for a feast, demonstration of horsemanship skills, and a traditional provençal bullfight, in which young men try to pluck a red cloth from between the horns of the bull, then vault to safety over the walls of the arena.
- Play boule (French bocce) with the locals at the foot of Mount Sainte-Victoire, a view memorialized by Paul Cézanne in many famous canvasses.