Southern Africa is more than a travel destination. It’s a place that will take us outside ourselves. We’ll gain new perspectives on history, cultural diversity, and the eternal struggle for freedom. Gazing upon wonders like Victoria Falls, we’ll be humbled by Nature’s raw power. On a three-night train journey through the scenic Bushveld, we’ll be transported back to the Golden Age of luxury travel. And, as we encounter some of Earth’s most amazing animals in their habitats, we may even see our relationship with the natural world in a new light. Come with us on this 13-night, small-group adventure, featuring five glorious days and nights in South Africa’s Thornybush Nature Reserve and Botswana’s Chobe National Park.
Superb value: Price includes deluxe accommodations, extensive meal plan, expert-led enrichment programs, transfers, gratuities, and more.
Embrace momentous history, intriguing cultures, and phenomenal nature.
- Explore vibrant Cape Town, take in panoramic ocean views as you ascend Cape Point by funicular, and bask on a beach with a colony of African penguins
- Learn about South Africa’s tumultuous history and incredibly diverse culture during a special lecture, and on excursions led by local guides
- Cruise to isolated Robben Island and pay homage to Nelson Mandela at the former prison where he was incarcerated for 18 years
- Intersperse three thrilling days of game drives at renowned Thornybush Nature Reserve with three sumptuous nights at Thornybush Game Lodge
- With the help of your expert ranger and tracker, stalk the Big Five with your camera; gain deeper knowledge of wildlife at a talk by Thornybush’s naturalist
- Experience the romance and elegance of a bygone era on a three-night journey aboard Rovos Rail, one of the world’s most luxurious trains
- Get a glimpse of Southern Africa’s future — meet some of its young people at a youth project in Soweto Township
- Finish in classic safari style with a series of game drives at Chobe National Park, a wildlife paradise famed for its elephant herds, lion prides, and birdlife
- Enhance your adventure with an optional two-night extension in Cape Town, featuring a tour of the Cape Winelands and a tasting at a premier wine estate