The Board of Trustees is the governing authority of Tufts University. Alumni Trustees, elected by an alum ballot, comprise 25% of the Board. The other 75% are Charter Trustees, appointed by the Board. Alumni Trustees and Charter Trustees hold equal responsibility and influence.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for:
- Appointing the President and establishing conditions of employment for the President and key officers.
- Reviewing and approving the university's mission and purposes. Review and approve proposed major changes in programs and major enterprises.
- Approving policies on faculty appointment, promotion, tenure, and dismissal.
- Approving the annual budget and tuition, and monitoring the university's financial condition.
- Authorizing new construction, renovation, and upkeep.
- Approving earned and honorary degrees.
Your Role in Electing Alumni Trustees
Tufts alums elect 10 fellow alums to the Tufts University Board of Trustees, two each year, to serve five-year terms.
All Tufts alums have the chance to vote on candidates for their first five-year term on the university’s Board of Trustees.
After they have served a five-year term, Alumni Trustees may serve a second and final five-year term. The Nominating Committee submits nominations to the Alumni Council who vote on second subsequent terms at its annual meeting in the spring.
Alumni Trustees currently on the Tufts University Board of Trustees:
Terms run from November to November.
- John de Jong, A78, V85 (11/2012 - 11/2017, 11/2017 - 11/2022)
- Katherine Kaplan, AG95, A20P, A22P (11/2017 - 11/2022)
- Maria Madison, J82, AG88, A19P, A21P, EG20P (11/2018 - 11/2023, 11/2023-11/2028)
- Kenneth C. Fan, E01, F07 (11/2019 - 11/2024)
- Lori Roth, J86 (11/2019 - 11/2024)
- Diana Lopez, J78 (11/2014 - 11/2015, 11/2015 - 11/2020, 11/2020 - 11/2024)
- Doug Harris, A81 (11/2020 - 11/2025)
- Janis Moriarty, D94 (11/2021 - 11/2026)
- Kalahn Taylor-Clark, J99, MG01 (11/2016 - 11/2021, 11/2021 - 11/2026)
- Kristy Endo, A05 (11/2022 - 11/2027)
- Andre Baynes, A91 (11/2023-11/2028)