The Board of Trustees is the governing authority of Tufts University. Alumni Trustees, elected by alumni ballot, comprise 25% of the Board. The other 75% are Charter Trustees, appointed by the Board. Alumni Trustees and Charter Trustees hold equal responsibility and influence.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for:
- Appointing the President and establish conditions of employment for the President and key officers.
- Reviewing and approving the university's mission and purposes. Review and approve proposed major changes in programs and major enterprises.
- Approving policies on faculty appointment, promotion, tenure, and dismissal.
- Approving the annual budget and tuition, and monitoring the university's financial condition.
- Authorizing new construction, renovation, and upkeep.
- Approving earned and honorary degrees.
Your Role in Electing Alumni Trustees
Tufts alumni elect 10 fellow alumni to the Tufts University Board of Trustees, two each year, to serve five-year terms.
All Tufts alumni have the chance to vote on candidates for their first five-year term on the university’s Board of Trustees.
After they have served a five-year term, Alumni Trustees may serve a second and final five-year term. The Nominating Committee submits nominations to the Alumni Council who vote on second subsequent terms at its annual meeting in the spring.
Read the bios of Tufts current Board of Trustees
Alumni Trustees currently on the Tufts University Board of Trustees:
Terms run from November to November.
- John de Jong, A78, V85 (11/2012 - 11/2017, 11/2017 - 11/2022)
- Katherine Kaplan, AG95, A20P, A22P (11/2017 - 11/2022)
- Elizabeth Cochary Gross, PhD, N82, NG88 (11/2013 - 11/2018, 11/2018 - 11/2023)
- Maria Madison, J82, AG88, A19P, A21P, EG20P (11/2018 - 11/2023)
- Kenneth C. Fan, E01, F07 (11/2019 - 11/2024)
- Lori Roth, J86 (11/2019 - 11/2024)
- Diana Lopez, J78 (11/2014 - 11/2015, 11/2015 - 11/2020, 11/2020 - 11/2024)
- Doug Harris, A81 (11/2020 - 11/2025)
- Janis Moriarty, D94 (11/2021 - 11/2026)
- Kalahn Taylor-Clark, J99, MG01 (11/2016 - 11/2021, 11/2021 - 11/2026)
- Kristy Endo, A05 (11/2022 - 11/2027)
- Office of Alumni Engagement
- 617-627-3532 or 1-800-THE-ALUM